perfection in the scottish highlands.


nearly two years ago.

Possibly my most favourite country/landscape that I have ever visited is Scotland, particularly the highlands. Edinburgh is absolutely stunning and you can definitely feel the history walking around the Royal Mile and down the Closes. But the highlands were something else.

If you have ever been to Switzerland, then you have probably seen stunning mountainous vistas. Yet somehow there is still a feeling of sterile, pristine order. In contrast, Scotland feels totally wild - a true wilderness - even though you hear and see the devastating effect humans have had on the landscape.

As you can see in the above photo, even in August mist clings to the air, and I found it no great stretch to imagine clan warfare and bagpipes haunting across the glens. This actually did happen for me while at Glen Coe. It was incredibly poignant, because Glen Coe is the location of a notorious massacre in 1692.



the islands.

Another area of Scotland that I equally loved was the islands. I visited quite a few - the Inner and Outer Hebrides and Orkney. While these are still mountainous areas (Orkney being the exception for all of this), they were also incredibly rocky and covered in heather. There were also plenty of sheep crofts and 'hairy coos'. Unfortunately, try as I might, I did not see any wild deer - it was still too warm.

a cairn high on the hill.
I was very lucky in the 10 days I travelled around northern Scotland/the Scottish Isles that we had crisp, clear weather the entire time. I think this has definitely added to the almost magical reverence with which I remember my time there.

And to contrast the rugged Isles of Lewis and Harris, and Skye - here is Orkney.

the neolithic village skara brae.
It is actually to visit this village, Skara Brae, that I decided to tour the islands of Scotland. Interestingly, Skara Brae was somewhat eclipsed in my mind compared to the Isles of Lewis and Harris. But it was a fascinating site to see.

I first heard about Skara Brae in Simon Schama's 'A History of Britain' documentary. In the film, he explains that this neolithic village shows sure signs of human culture - all of the houses (resembling hobbit holes) are connected by tunnels. Importantly, most of these houses had hearths and benches where historians conclude that idols and trinkets were displayed.

The crazy thing about Orkney is that it is totally devoid of trees. And once you notice it while you are there, you then completely begin to miss them.

No doubt I will make another post about Scotland to share more of my photos. If you are ever heading to the UK, I would definitely put it on my do not miss list!

truly.

sheridan.

Post a Comment

© Fun to Funghi. Design by Fearne.